Tuesday 21 June 2011

Hill no 28 – 71 Swiss Hill, Aldersley Edge

I know of Aldersley Edge – this is the area of more millionaires per acre than anywhere but Mayfair, of WAGs and Range Rovers. I’d never been here before, my knowledge of Cheshire was of the slightly less posh areas, but I was anticipating this hill a lot.

Like Constitution Hill, Swiss Hill is a proper cobbled hill. Unlike Constitution Hill, it is a lot more enclosed – by houses and trees. The cobbles are smaller and slicker – I was worried that my wheels would slip more. It is also less straight up, with curves and grass and moss growing amongst the cobbles.
Cobbles are swine – I know of the wisdom in relation to cobbles – the harder the gear you have it in, the more your bum lifts of the seat and the more comfortable it is, if you hit them at speed you skip from cobble top to cobble top and actually on cobbles weighing a bit more is helpful as you get thrown around less.
To be honest though – I just gritted my teeth and did what I do on all of these hills – try and get up them as quickly as possible and get them over and done with.
The top of Swiss Hill goes into tarmac and you think – “lovely smooth tarmac”, but it is pitted and scarred badly. Millionaires may reside in Aldersley Edge (and it appears lovely), but that doesn’t make them immune to the charms of a pot-hole!


A very "cute" little hill though - in a little residential area and the sort of road that you would drive past every day for years without ever knowing it existed.

Youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qHLTRRhdfE and the video captures the "judder" of the cobbles nicely!
Garmin data here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/90464336
Flickr photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/100hillsforgeorge/sets/72157626998086848/

No comments:

Post a Comment